Why do I need a smoke detector?
It is required by code or law during resale or change of occupancy right? Absolutely, it is; however it is just plain good old common sense. Every year more people die at home in their sleep then anywhere else in the world!!! Your home can be a dangerous place which is why you should want smoke detectors in your home. They are a part of an important life safety plan in your home. Along with a practiced home evacuation plan with a meeting place and monthly if not weekly smoke detector checks your home will be a safer place.
Why do I need a carbon monoxide detector?
A silent and odorless life treating problem.
A carbon monoxide detector has to be in homes with fuel burning appliances and/or an attached garage. They have to be located on every level in the house which has bed rooms located on that level. They may be battery operated, plug in or a combination of both.
What does my house need?
Each level of the dwelling is required to have a smoke detector. The detectors are either battery powered or electric powered, depending on the year the house was built:
• Before 1977 - Battery powered detector in hall adjacent to bedrooms.
• 1977 - 1980 - Electric powered detector in hall adjacent to bedrooms, battery powered detectors on remaining levels.
• 1981 - 1983 - Electric powered, interconnected in hall adjacent to bedrooms and basement, if applicable.
• 1984 - 1990 - Electric powered, interconnected detectors on all levels.
• 1991 - 1992 - Electric powered, interconnected detectors in all bedrooms, in vicinity of bedrooms and on all levels.
• 1992 - Present - Electric powered, interconnected detectors in all bedrooms, in vicinity of bedrooms and on all levels with battery powered back up.
When do my detectors retire??????
Smoke detectors need to be replaced when they are 10 years old except when it is a combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector which in most cases has to be replaced when it is 7 years old. Carbon monoxide detectors in most cases need to be replaced when they are 7 years old. In all cases the manufactures recommended replacement schedule shall be followed; however no manufacture allows their product to exceed 10 years of service
401 Firehouse Lane
Florence, NJ 08518